Sunday, October 4, 2020

M.O.O.D.P.I.G.S

 

I got drawn into RPGs in the 70's when my brother came home with a bunch of photocopied pages from the 1st edition D&D PHB and DMG books. It wasn't long before we had the basic set then, later, every single 1st ed AD&D book printed at the time. Pressed into service as the DM, I was often forced to adjudicate stuff that wasn't covered by the rules, which led to modding the rules, which led--eventually--to trying to create my ideal game system. 

It turns out that's kind of hard. And on top of that, my ideal system changes from time to time over the years. At this point, I would consider just getting a complete system something of an accomplishment.

Lately, I've spent a little more time on Reddit wandering around various RPG subreddits including onepagerpgs which inspired me to try to condense my current attempt down to a single page. More than just an interesting challenge, I find such exercises in focus very helpful in defining just exactly what my goals are.

The result? M.O.O.D.P.I.G.S









I'm not married to the name. It doesn't (necessarily) have anything to do with moods or pigs. (But then I'm not one to tell what to have or not have in your game.)  I've considered swapping the two middle stats around and calling it SPAR, but I thought that might sound like I was trying too hard. At least this name is pretty memorable. 

A number of changes have not been playtested very much, but then it's not a huge departure from other games I've played/run. The tri-fold brochure layout is more convenient for printing before using, but I've always liked the idea of explaining the game to a prospective new player by just handing them a simple brochure.

If anyone feels like playtesting this, I'd love to hear how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Interaction

 I haven't been doing much writing or game development lately because of my impending test into 3rd-degree black in Kung Fu. But lately,...